A place for FF's to write and read brief reviews of books and films for the benefit of other FF's.

A place for FF's to write and read brief reviews of books and films for the benefit of other FF's.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Solar, by Ian McEwan

I was reluctant to read Solar, which I assumed would be full of preachy monologues about melting ice caps and whatnot, but it was the only palatable option left on the fiction table at Borders during their going-out-of-business sale. Turns out I should have given Ian McEwan the benefit of the doubt, because this book is pretty good. It includes the two key elements of every Ian McEwan novel I've read: highly intelligent-sounding technical science writing and a totally zany major plot point. (I've read two of his novels.) There is one preachy monologue, but the speaker is problematically drunk and the audience is universally bored, so the scene itself is entertaining.

Maybe read Saturday first, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment