A place for FF's to write and read brief reviews of books and films for the benefit of other FF's.

A place for FF's to write and read brief reviews of books and films for the benefit of other FF's.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

First Orbit

Made to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's historic orbit around the Earth, this movie (available on youtube) combines real-time real audio from Gagarin and his mission control with visuals shot from the International Space Station and some kind of arty atmospheric music. I thought this would be the best thing ever but it was pretty insanely boring such that I quit after 50 minutes. The visuals were very disappointing -- about 80% of the time I didn't even know what I was looking at. (The fact that I was watching it on a crappy little youtube window didn't help it any.) At some point I just started doing other stuff, and would click back when I heard Gagarin start talking again. The "dialogue" was kind of charming but almost comically unexciting. ("Cedar, how do you feel? How is it going?" "Feeling good. Very alert. The orbit is going perfectly.") A couple nice parts were when mission control said (or was translated as saying): "Continue in the same spirit!", and when Gargarin, with regard to weightlessness, said something like, "All the floating! Interesting! Beautiful!"

So, yeah, not really worth anybody's time, but still, I'm glad this exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment